Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Dash of French in Serangoon Road - The French Stall


544 Serangoon Road Singapore 218166
Tel: 6299 3544
www.thefrenchstall.com.sg/
This place looks like any ordinary stall and with the huge Tiger Beer poster beside the signage, it is easy to miss out this little corner. However, the items you would see, from the unique European lamp posts
above to the floral tiles on the floor, this place does make you forget you are in Serangoon Rd! There were so many unique pieces in this little cosy stall that I was busy snapping away, ignoring my friend who was browsing through the menu and waiting for me to place my order! Being a "French" place, it is hard not to notice the wines displayed at the main counter, the wine cellar, and even at the side table with this very old typewriter. Unfortunately, my friend and I don't take wine, so no wine tasting for review. But I did notice a wide selection from the menu.



APPETISER

I had this very tasty Escargots, served with 2 slices of French bread while my friend had the French Onion Soup, served with a slice of soaked french bread topped with a layer of cheese. Interesting combination, I thought.










MAIN COURSE

I can't rave enough about this steak, it was sooooo goooood!
The meat was medium cooked (just how I liked it to be done) and the sauce went very well with the tender meat. The side dish was sauteed potatoes, and as the name suggests, it was a little salty but the portion was just right.

Grilled Beef Sirloin Steak (200gr) with Black Pepper Sauce & "Sautee" Potatoes


This grilled salmon dish was really meaty and I like that it was not over-cooked.

Grilled Salmon Chunk with Red Wine Sauce and Spinach "Genevoise*" Style


Other dishes include:
Pan Fried Dory Fish

Grilled Pork Chop

DESSERT
Dark Chocolate Cake (sugar icing crust) ----------------- Honey Cheese Cake

The service was prompt and servings were huge, unlike the usual french cuisine which normally comes in small portions that keeps you wondering when the main course would arrive!
We cleaned our plates, needless to say, down to the last drop of sauce and last bit of crumb!

*Genevoise is a french cooking term that indicates a classic sauce for fish made from fish fumet/stock, mirepoix and espagnole with red wine, finished with butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.