Thursday, September 9, 2010

Prawn Fishing @Sin Ming Avenue

Hai Bin U Enterprise
Prawn Fishing in Bishan Singapore
603, Sin Ming Avenue
Singapore 575735
Operating hours: 24/7

A place to find Kampung feel and a chance to catch your own food, prawns in particular.
This place must have been around for ages, having heard from my brother of his friends' midnight gathering and spotting the neon lights whenever I drove past the junction on my way home. However, it never came across my mind as a place I would want to visit.

We recce-d the place and all we could see were either drinking and smoking group of people chatting away or enthusiasts focusing on their rods cast into the ponds filled with prawns.
How much fun would that be, I thought?
$10/hr
$25/2 hrs
$30/ 3 hrs
Whatsmore, with a price like this, $30 seems worth it (as we assumed us first timers are not likely to catch anything in an hour since we'll probably be finding a good spot - it was vvvv crowded at 8.30pm, learning how to hook worms onto hooks, or even how to haul a prawn up!)

Wen got a 3hrs package and off we went to search for our spot. It was tough since I never liked being a victim of second hand smoking. A place for gatherings is fine, but not a place I would recommend to bring babies or kids to at such late timings (which I saw many parents did).
Nevertheless, we found a good corner where a young couple just left with a huge net of prawns they've caught. Some of the 'prawnermen' (think fishermen) must be the regulars here, they brought with them their own fishing rods and even a kit (probably own hooks, baits, etc.). The place gave complimentary cockles as baits but Wen bought earthworms as that might give us a better catch.

I was not too keen to hook the baits, so he was in charge of that while I tossed the rod and waited for something to happen. This place offers a BBQ pit for you and your friends to cook your catch on the spot too. Not to fret if you think they might not be enough prawns in the later hours as the owners top up the prawns every now and then. Also not to fret if you are hungry and do not really fancy prawns, you will find sellers walking around the fishing ponds touting. (They know you must be hungry while waiting for the prawns to get to your hook.) "BBQ chicken wings, satays, otahs...!" you will frequently hear.

Believe it or not, time passed real quickly when you were fishing. Our first catch came within minutes but subsequently took a longer time. We had to re-hook the bait, focus on our hook to feel the tugging. And 3 hours went by without me feeling sleepy and before we knew it, it was 11.30pm! Our catch for the night was embarrassingly few compared to the regulars who managed to lure the prawn at a consistent rate. But it was a great achievement that we even caught those few and an overall fun experience!


The prawns we caught looked huge but we then realised their heads were much bigger than the flesh they had on their bodies!
Well... we made a good instant noodle meal with them nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.