Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Guinea Pigs & Porcupines vs Hedgehogs

I was being asked.
Asked by a fellow Chinese, I stood dumbfounded.
"哇,这好可爱哦!是什么呀?“
(This is cute, what is this?)

I looked down at my guinea pigs and imagined big question marks hovering above me.
Should I say they are little pigs (猪) or mice (鼠)? Before, I could answer, parents gave either answers to their children.
I felt guilty as I knew they are not!

Asked by bright 6-year-olds, I muttered.
"So, this is a hedgehog. This is the same as a porcupine, isn't it?
They have spikes too, just smaller in size. Ya?"

Determined not to repeat such embarrassment, I made findings on these incredibly cute creatures. The questions asked were food for thought. And I was thankful.

Guinea Pigs are called 天竺鼠 (Tian Zhu Shu).
Although it is a species of rodent, unlike a rat who has a long tail, guinea pig doesn't have one.
Guinea pigs have 4 toes on each front foot, but only 3 toes on each hind foot!
Check them out!
Hmm. guess the missing toe doesn't really affect them much... from the way they run away when I try to catch them or when they come running to me for carrots!
Interesting Fact:
Like rabbits, guinea pigs do not sweat as they do not have the functional sweat glands.
Their ears help to regulate their body temperature.

Porcupine - 箭猪
Part of the rodent family, this animal is spiky!
These spiky spines are called Quills are easily released, when they shake, or move.
They are modified hairs coated with thick plates of keratin.
And please, ignore those old sayings. Porcupine doesn't shoot their quills out at attackers and their quills are not poisonous!! They may cause infection if they are not removed.
Porcupines are herbivores and nocturnal animals.

Hedgehog - 刺猬
Hedgehog is not part of the rodent family.
They are in the order of insectivore and are nocturnal, just like porcupines.
Their spines are the same as porcupines, but much shorter and are not easily removed.

Hope this page helps to give a little more insight to these cute animals!

1 comment:

  1. thank you for this very informative information

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.