Friday, June 25, 2010

My Runway Cycling Debute_20 Jun 2010

National Runway Cycling and Skating
20 June 2010 Paya Lebar Air Base
Jointly organised by SAFRA and RSAF (Republic of Singapore Air Force)
This event attracted 7,000 enthusiasts, and we were proud to be one of them!!

Our bicycles were under cover for months and we thought it should be time to unveil them and put them to good use when we learned about this event. We brought our *dusty* bicycles for a thorough check up a day before the event and true enough, tyres were as flat as the runway, chains were squeaking. After fixing them, we were ready.
Oh yes, unless you want to look roasted or suffer sunburn, slap on sun block and don a cap.
Runway is flat. The sunbeam comes straight at you.

The morning road to Paya Lebar Air Base saw cars with hanging bicycles heading towards the public car park, cyclists already cycling on their way to the venue.

The event had 2 categories: Endurance (competitve) or Leisure.
Leisure for us (me) of cos!
The starting point had heaps and heaps of people, everybody in high spirits, couldn't wait to start paddling/ skating...
"Ring the bells", the commentator shouted, and you could hear a good roar of cheers and bells filling up the compound. Some had funny ring tones, like the siren when you break into somebody's car!

It was 8.30am and the ride began.
It was really fun to watch the people and their vehicles.
A kid paddling on a 3-wheel bike, guy on a harley davidson-lookalike modified bike, father on a bicycle dragging his son on his wagon, man paddling with his arms.


We registered for the 6km route, but ended up on the 15km route ~ firstly, we did not know how to exit from 6km since everybody seemed to be heading straight after 6km and secondly, we thought we shouldn't lose to children who were still padding on!
4km on and we were still able to chat while we cycle.
6km on and I was beginning to feel the stretch on my legs... Push on, I told myself.
10km on and we both went quiet. (No more strength...!)
12km on and we went to a H2O station for a short break.
Off we went and we decided to take a pic at 14km to prove we did not take a pic at the finishing line from the starting line!!

FINALLY...
we reached a sign: 2nd lap to take on a left lane, right lane to finish
~ right lane for us (me) of cos!

Contented and rosy faces reached the finishing line.
It was quite a feat, given that I have not cycled for quite awhile now...
The event had free popcorns, candy floss, kampung games for children and a bazaar sale.


Overall a pleasant experience and I am looking forward to another round of runway - next year!

Our bicycles were nothing fanciful, but they served us well for the day.
They are back under the covers, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.