Sunday, June 6, 2010

Singapore Botanic Gardens - A whole new experience

Singapore Botanic Gardens
http://www.sbg.org.sg/
5am - midnight
Free Admission (except to National Orchid Garden - S$5/adult, S$1/child & senior citizen)

This place has changed so much.
That was our first thought when we stepped into the Garden.
We had anticipated showers from the look out of my window of the morning sky.
However, we still went ahead with our plan to visit SBG.
I was so thrilled we did.


The start of the trail invites you to a beautiful landscape surrounding the Symphony Lake, a platform for performing arts with beautiful floating water lilies as decorations. People were seen having picnics, playing frisbees, and even badminton! We caught a group of people practising Tai Chi, what a good way to start a chirpy and hearty morning. Shame on me.

SBG is a learning place to spot interesting plants.

The first thought that ran through my mind when I spotted this plant was Medusa from Greek Mythology!

I thought this resembles crab claws!
What do you think?

Ginger Garden
- where to spot ginger? On the ground or on the trees, he asked.
We got our answers when we saw a group of foreigners getting excited snapping pictures of the roots of these plants.

Titled as Curtain of Roots, these hanging reddish "strings" are actually roots/vines known as the Princess Vine - known to be a close relative to grapes.
This plant is also known to be a healer, traditionally used to treat rheumatism, ulcer and diabetes.

SBG also displays unique pieces of artistic sculptors.

Frederick Chopin
- A gift of the people of Poland to us in memory of great tone poets.

Girl on Swing

Girl on Bicycle

Passing of Knowledge


Just as we had anticipated, showers came down on us, even the Swans were swimming away for a hide.
We were drenched, but were totally satisfied and happy we came, just to breathe in the fresh air and appreciate nature.

We ended with a hot glass of Teh Tarik and piping hot pratas at Pratas at Mr. Prata House, situated closeby to SBG.
What a great morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.