Saturday, January 16, 2010

Highlander Coffee Appreciation - I need to stop having 3-in-1s!

That was my main objective for signing up for this workshop.

I never knew how to differentiate gourmet coffee at Starbucks/Coffee Bean or even kopi at kopitiam (coffee shops); what's a latte, mocha, kopi-C, kopi-kosong, etc... Well, coffee tastes the same to me in whatever name they called it, only with or without milk/sugar.

Coffee has become my morning buddy ever since I started working. Not sure if this is a serious addiction, but I am dependent on the aroma and taste to wake all my senses.
One cup a day, I think it is worthwhile to increase my knowledge about this fascinating beverage rather than downing it everyday not knowing what I'm feeding myself.
I am glad to have discovered Highlander.

49 Kampong Bahru Road
http://www.highlandercoffee.com/
Mon-Sat (9-6pm)
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays

Not just a simple coffee cafe, Highlanders conduct workshops and courses and I was there for their 2-hr coffee appreciation seminar. Here are some interesting things I've learnt.

1. Contents of our local coffee powder.
Isn't coffee powder made of coffee beans, I thought. No, it is not.
It consists of coffee beans, sugar, butter and corn/maize.

2. Italy has the highest consumption of coffee

3. Coffee beans are originally green "seeds" from cherry-like fruit, known as peaberry.

4. Two kinds of trees - Arabica & Robusta.

5. There are so many kinds of coffee makers, from the high end espresso machines to home-use coffee brewers, japanese siphon bar, aero-press, french press, etc.

6. Different kinds of gourmet coffee - espresso, latte, mocha, etc. Of course, with demonstrations came samplings! You'll be in for a coffee buffet treat at the workshop! And not forgetting the beautifully done latte art! They made it look so easy.


To find out more about each of these, come join their appreciation classes held monthly!
You'll be in for a great treat to both your mind and tastebud!
All simply pop in to enjoy a cup of good coffee.
Trust them for genuine coffee pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Yes, I love animals. Never owned a pet, dare not own one. I love food; the ambience, scent and company are what satisfy me. I thread across the globe in my dreams, making them come true is what I seek. My motto: To indulge in the finest things in life ~ Nature, Animals, Me.